Friday, March 18, 2016

We're All Ears :: March Inspiration

I haven't been involved in a challenge in a really long time,...

 but the "We're All Ears :: March Inspiration" challenge on the "Earrings Everyday" blog caught my eye and I couldn't stop daydreaming about it!   Here are just a few of the inspirational photographs included by Erin!


 



The  magnificent colors and designs inspired 4 pairs of earrings, and I'll probably keep going!

I can't say I used just one of the photos, but if I did use one more than the others, it was probably this last one.

I'll show the first pair I designed today and add the others soon. 


I hand cut the pieces from 
genuine copper sheet metal, 
then embossed them with a design folder 
that seemed
just made for this purpose!

You can tell that in addition to the patterns,
I was really drawn to the 
bright orange, copper, yellow, 
dark blue, and turquoise colors.


I started with this look,
then started applying more and more 
layers of patina,
as I often do with my components....
until they looked like the ones 
in the other two photos.


I've added sterling silver earwires and jumprings,
accent beads in sterling silver, copper,
and dark blue encased glass.

Just for fun, 
I left one side as in photo 2 and the other side with more color layers.  
The hooks can be switched in a second,
if anyone prefers one look to the other!

To see more entries, please visit 
on March 18th!  

My thanks to Erin and friends 
for the inspiration!

* * * * * *

Handcut Trapezoid Copper Embossed Metapolies™ handmade components in turquoise  HM16-009EP.S.  I can't resist giving a special "shout-out" to Alice, from "Alice Dreaming" blog, who used a pair of my Metapolies™ components in her design too!  Visit her blog to see what she created!   (And thank you, Alice!)

* * * * * *

17 comments:

Ann Schroeder said...

Lovely! That design folder you used is perfect! I love the colors too. I'm off to visit Alice's blog.

baymoondesign said...

Great design and interpretation! I am so impressed with your components.

Cindys Art + Soul said...

Beautiful earrings! I really love the design and colors you've used. Lovely!

ShadowDogDesigns said...

What gorgeous beauties your earrings are, Sharyl. Feel like I am in old Persia when I see them. Look forward to seeing more.

Sharyl said...

Thank you all! It was such an inspiring challenge!

Alice said...

GASP. What amazing components.so colorful.
Thanks for the shout out to visit my blog. Your components are wonderful.

Tammy Adams said...

I love how you treated the copper. Fabulous colors and texture in these earrings.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous earrings, love how you coloured the metal x

OksanaB said...

Gorgeous pair of earrings! Love the texture and vibrant colors!

Unknown said...

I LOVELOVELOVE these earrings! You make wonderful components and you really have an eye for turning architectural inspiration into ear art! (And neck art - I am thinking about one of my favourite necklaces, the one I bougt from you!) Kram!

Terry Ricioli Designs said...

Love the effects you achieved with the patinas on the copper. And the embossing is perfect for this!

Sharyl said...

Oh thank you, kind friends! You sure know how to warm the heart!

Gloria Allen said...

Gorgeous, lovely earrings. Your components are awesome.

TesoriTrovati said...

Wow! That paint and that texture remind me of an ancient door! I love that they are swingy and super bright, yet aged. A great look! Thank you for playing along with me in the March We're All Ears Challenge. Check back on April 1st for our next inspiration! Enjoy the day! Erin

Sarajo Wentling said...

I'm finally finishing hopping around... it's been a crazy past week. I see great minds do think alike! I love how you handled the patinas. You created a wonderful effect!

Sharyl said...

Thank you, Erin, Sarajo, and all, for your comments! I truly appreciate you stopping by and leaving a note!

Terri said...

Beautiful earrings...wonderfully hand crafted! Thanks for the visit to my blog too.